The cruise pier Bykaia is located 1,5 km from the town center. A new floating pier with a terminal building for passenger traffic will be ready by 2021.This pier will be 120m long and 35m wide.
We welcome you to Longyearbyen!
- Svalbard's unique Wildlife is best seen from a boat. Every summer thousands of migratory birds return to breed in the Mountains around Longyearbyen.
- A true Arctic experience, mush the dogs in full speed, cuddle the puppies and experience life in the dog yards around Longyearbyen.
- Glide silently through the weater and enjoy the magnificient Arctic landscape. Combine with hikes in the majestic mountains around Longyearbyen and a hot lunch on the beach.
- Combine a hiking trip with fossil hunting in the morena. Join us in the search for 600-million-year-old plant fossils which make a great souvenir to take back home.
- We are some 2 200 locals living in Longyearbyen all year around. Everyday life in Longyearbyen is quite civilized, but in some aspects dramatically different from life on the main land.
- Within the town of Longyearbyen you can often spot a range of exotic wildlife like migratory birds, the Svalbard reindeer, the Arctic fox, the bearded seals and the belugas.