At present ships of up to 160m can call Harlingen, just walking distance from the old centre. Larger vessels can anchor in the Wadden Sea, home to 10,000 species of plants and animals. A 30-minute transfer by fast ferry can be provided to Harlingen from the tender pier which is 15nm from the Vlieree anchorage.
A new floating quay opened in March 2018.
Harlingen is 75 minutes drive from Amsterdam International Airport
- A walk through Harlingen is like walking through an open-air museum, taking you back to the Dutch Golden Age. Let guides tell you about how Harlingen used to trade with countries all over the world.
- See the oldest active planetarium in the world, built in 1774 by Eise Eisinga. Visit the interactive exposition "De Ruimte" (Space), and see the extensive collection of historical astronomical tools
- Europe's longest dam at 32 km was built to protect a large par of the Netherlands against floods. See the structure and learn how it was protected through WW II through pictures, movies & documents
- A mighty monument to the Dutch historical battle against the water is Woudagemaal, the world's largest functional steam pumping station in the world. Experience museum tours and a 3D movie,
- In a tradition unchanged for 400 years, see how the age-old knowledge of clay, glazing and pigments is translated into beautiful ceramic creations.
- The Frisian Horse - or "Black Gold" - is revered the world over. As featured in Zorro, The Hunger Games and Inferno, visit the "Het Swarte Paert" to learn about its history, culture, breeding & sports